MODESTO CAR ACCIDENT LAWYERS
MAKING CAR ACCIDENT CLAIMS SIMPLE & STRESS-FREE
Car accidents in California are unfortunately common, with about 450 injury-causing collisions in the state each day. Everyone on the road needs to be aware of the dangers negligent drivers pose and do what they can to prevent a crash. Yet sometimes the best drivers in the state are the ones who get hurt the most in a car accident, as the driver who caused it acts entirely unpredictably. If you or a loved one become seriously injured by another motorist, you need to stand up for your rights and think about how you can receive compensation for your damages.
Our Modesto car accident attorneys from Habbas & Associates are here to help provide you with legal guidance and support after being struck by a negligent motorist. With more than 175 total years of legal experience, focused on personal injury claims, we have become the go-to name in representation all across the region.
Reasons why people choose to work with our Modesto injury attorneys:
- We are highly-rated by past clients.
- We have secured multiple multimillion dollar case results.
- We offer contingency fees – no cost to hire us unless we win your case.
- We offer no-cost, no-obligation case evaluations.
Now is the right time to start your car accident claim. Call us at (888) 387-4053.
On This Page:
- Calculating Damages After Your Crash
- California's Car Accident Statute of Limitations
- Common Car Accident Injuries
- Forms of Negligence
- Determining Fault
- Can You Settle Your Claim Without a Lawyer?
- Get Our Help Today
"Damages" refer to the compensation you may be eligible to receive if your accident was caused by someone else's negligence. In general, after a car accident you may be eligible to pursue compensation for the following damages:
- Medical expenses
- Damaged property
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of companionship
In some cases where extreme negligence was involved (for example if the driver who hit you was driving drunk), you may also be able to pursue compensation for punitive damages (i.e. damages intended to punish the offender).
If you wish to file a car accident lawsuit in Modesto, you have up to 2 years after the date of the accident to file a lawsuit with the court. If you fail to do so within the prescribed timeframe, you may forfeit your right to pursue compensation for your injuries. For minors who suffer injuries in car accidents, you are allowed to file a claim for up to 2 years after you turn 18. For families who have lost a loved one in a car accident, you are allowed up to 2 years to file a claim after your loved one's death.
Car accidents can lead to some very serious injuries, many of which can be life-altering. The severity of your injuries will most likely depend on several things: the speed at which you are traveling, whether or not you are wearing a seatbelt and the type of accident you are involved in (i.e. rollover, t-bone, head-on, etc.) Some of the most commonly sustained car accident injuries include:
- Scrapes, cuts, lacerations and bruises
- Head or brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Herniated discs or other back and spinal injuries
- Whiplash and other neck injuries
- Damage to internal organs, including internal bleeding
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of limbs or amputation
If you have suffered a catastrophic injury in your car accident, you should consider hiring a lawyer in order to help you get maximum compensation.
Knowing that you did not cause your car accident is not enough to secure a fair compensation amount. You need to know what did cause it as well so liability can be appropriately assigned. As you should be focusing on rest and healing, allow our car accident attorneys in Modesto to look into the details of your claim for you. Our goal is minimizing your liability to maximize the compensation you can seek from the other parties.
Common causes of car accidents in California include:
- Distracted driving, like texting behind the wheel
- Intoxicated driving
- Vehicle defects
- Unsafe road conditions
California is what is referred to as a "pure comparative negligence" state when it comes to determining fault. This means that you can still recover compensation for your injuries, even if you were partially responsible for the accident. However, if you did play some part in causing the accident, your settlement may be reduced by your percentage of fault. For example, if the judge finds you 15% responsible for the accident, your settlement may be reduced by 15%. If you are over 50% responsible for the accident, you may not be able to recover any damages from the other driver.
Technically, yes, you may be able to settle your accident lawsuit without the help of a personal injury lawyer. However, here are several reasons you may be better off hiring an attorney to represent you:
- Determining who is at fault for the accident may not be straightforward; you may get blamed for something that wasn't your fault
- The insurance company may not offer you a fair settlement; you may be left paying some of your medical bills later on
- Without professional guidance you run the risk of missing important deadlines
- You may not be able to get in contact with expert witnesses or find accident reconstructionists to back up your claims in court
- Your injuries may be severe enough that you are physically unable to negotiate with the insurance company or go to court
Doing the wrong thing after an accident or saying the wrong words to an insurance company can hurt the viability of your car accident claim. By letting our car accident lawyers in Modesto manage your claim from start to finish, you eliminate the risk of making a misstep that could end up costing you deserved compensation. With this in mind, the sooner you retain our services after a car crash, the better. Go ahead and contact Habbas & Associates at your first opportunity.
CALL OUR AUTO ACCIDENT ATTORNEYS TODAY TO SCHEDULE A FREE INITIAL CONSULTATION AT OUR MODESTO OFFICE!